Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Atheism +: A Bad Idea With Good Intentions

Those of you who are not atheists, or do not read atheist blogs, may not know it but there is a split in the atheist community that seems to be growing larger. I have tried to stay out of this argument because I believe that, as a minority in this country, all atheists should stick together and support each other. But I now believe I must take a stand. I do not want to see the atheist movement disintegrate into warring factions, but that seems to be happening regardless of what I (and many others) want.

The argument, as I understand it, is what is required to be an atheist. In one corner, we have the so-called "dictionary atheists", and in the other corner, those who believe that atheism must require a certain set of political beliefs (Atheism Plus). The dictionary atheists are those who believe that atheism is nothing more than the lack of belief in a god (or gods). The Atheism Plus adherents believe that atheism must be accompanied by certain liberal beliefs to be valid.

A couple of the most popular voices for the Atheist Plus view are Jen McCreight of Blag Hag, and P.Z. Myers of Pharyngula. Here is what McCreight says on her blog:


We are…
Atheists plus we care about social justice,
Atheists plus we support women’s rights,
Atheists plus we protest racism,
Atheists plus we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Atheists plus we use critical thinking and skepticism.
It speaks to those of us who see atheism as more than just a lack of belief in god.

And here is how Myers puts it on his blog:


I was (once again) making the argument that there had to be more to the atheism movement than just the dictionary definition, and I first made the case that we’ve comfortably accommodated much bigger, loftier goals than not believing in gods, by pointing out that we readily accept science as part of the atheist parcel. And then I moved on to asking whether there were other things we’d be willing to say that atheists, as a movement, ought to fight for. What are the secular causes?
“Science Education?” I asked. And the audience said “yes”.
“Environmentalism?” I asked. And the audience said “yes”.
“Civil rights for minorities?” I asked. And the audience said “yes,” loudly.
“Gay marriage?” I asked. And the audience yelled back “yes”.
“Feminism?” I asked. And the audience shouted “yes”.

Let me say right now that I respect both McCreight and Myers, and I have enjoyed reading their blogs for a long time now. And I have no desire to get into an argument with them. But I have to say that I disagree with them. This may seem odd to many of you readers, since this blog obviously tries to advance both liberal political ideas and atheism. And that is true. I am both a political liberal and an atheist -- and have been both for nearly 40 years now (a fact that I am proud of).

But I have never said that they are the same thing, or that either one requires a belief in the other. I know political conservatives who are atheists. And while I disagree with their politics, I accept them as fellow atheists (and would never require them to change their politics to be considered "real" atheists). The simple fact that they do not believe in a god makes them atheists, regardless of any other beliefs they may or may not have.

I also know many liberals that are christians, or believers in some other religion. I accept them as my liberal brothers and sisters (and would never require them to abandon their religious beliefs to be "real" liberals). In fact, for many of them it is their religious belief that makes them a liberal. I am just happy they are helping to fight for a better world where all people are equal and willing to help each other.

The fact is that liberalism and atheism are not the same thing, and must never be considered as such. Both of those beliefs come in many flavors -- and in a free country, that is a good thing. I can understand the desire of some atheists to combine the two in something called Atheist Plus, but it is a mistake (although one born out of good intentions) that could hurt both beliefs.

As both an atheist and a liberal, I use this blog to promote both beliefs. But I will never tell you that either of these beliefs requires you to believe in the other. It would be a lie -- and that is something I try very hard not to do.  

3 comments:

  1. I don't read McCreight, but I read Myers consistently. I don't think Myers says that atheists have to be liberal, or that liberals have to be atheists. I think he's just trying to promote a group for people who are atheist plus liberal.

    I think Myers says, and I agree, that for a number of reasons, an intellectually consistent liberal ought to be an atheist. He also says, and I agree, that if one strays too far from the liberal ethos, liberals such as he and I are going to think they're assholes. Atheist assholes, to be sure, but still assholes.

    I have a pretty zen, pluralistic view of these sorts of groups. Form a group of postmodern atheist lesbian feminist critics of Twilight; what business is it of mine to judge that? A group that speaks the truth and isn't mean has, if they want it, my approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We already have a problem keeping religion out of our politics, we don't need to make people choose a philosophy based on politics AND belief. As an Atheist and a Progressive Independent I don't want to be so narrowly defined that I have to choose a one-size-fits-all like the Christian-Conservatives do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Ted, and I like how you showed that they both seem to be pretty much saying the same thing. These are two totally separate parts of people, if they chose to unite them so be it, but it should not be mandatory.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.