Sunday, June 15, 2014

Barney Frank Discusses His Humanist Views

Barney Frank has retired now, but he had a long and distinguished career as a proud progressive in the U.S. House of Representatives. And while he did not try to hide the fact that he was gay, there was another aspect that he did not discuss while serving in the House -- the fact that he was a humanist.

This year Frank received two awards for his humanism -- the Lifetime Achievement in Cultural Humanism award from the Humanist Community at Harvard University, and the 2014 Humanist of the Year award from the American Humanist Association.

Recently he discussed his humanism (and non-theism) with Chris Stedman at the Religion News Service. I found that interview very interesting, and I am reposting much of it below.

CS: What does Humanism mean to you?
BF: A Humanist is nontheistic in his or her value set, and focused on humanity and human beings as the source of values. I never identified specifically as a Humanist, but that’s essentially what I am. It reflects my viewpoint.
CS: How does it feel to be embraced by the Humanist community?
BF: It’s very nice. I think it’s a sign of the times; there’s still enough prejudice against nontheists that my simply saying something that seems fairly commonplace to me means a lot to people. I’ve long been aware of prejudice against gay and lesbian people, and I have been very sensitive to that. I guess I never thought about the extent to which people who want to be explicit about their nontheism and their Humanism have felt somewhat devalued—so I’m glad to be of service.
CS: You became the first openly gay member of Congress in 1987, but you didn’t reveal your nontheism until after you left office. Why?
BF: It was never relevant. I never professed any theology. And it’s complicated by my Jewishness. Obviously, being Jewish is both an ethnicity and a religion. I was concerned that if I were to explicitly disavow any religiosity, it could get distorted into an effort to distance myself from being Jewish—and I thought that was wrong, given that there is anti-Jewish prejudice.
For years I would go to temple, but I suddenly realized it doesn’t mean anything to me. So I decided, I’m not going to do this. I’m not going to pretend. During my service I never pretended to be a theist. It just never became relevant that I wasn’t, and I guess I was not as conscious of the discrimination nontheists felt. But I’ve always been opposed to any imposition of religion. I fought hard, for example, with other members of Congress to oppose any notion that a religious group getting federal funds could discriminate in hiring.
When I took the oath of office, I never swore and said, “So help me God.” But members of the House take the oath en masse, so nobody noticed.
CS: A recent survey found that only 53% of Americans say they would vote for an otherwise qualified nontheistic candidate. There are currently no open atheists in Congress. Why do you think that is? 

BF: First of all, I wouldn’t say atheist. It seems to me that atheist is a more specific term. I just have no interest in [theology]. I’m not interested in guesses.
I think American history and tradition show [why there aren’t open nontheists in Congress]. There was this fervent Protestantism when we started, but there was also Robert Ingersoll. I don’t know exactly why; I’ve never really studied it.
I wasn’t thinking about that [when I announced my nontheism]. I just thought, I don’t really believe this stuff, I’m not going to pretend that I do. But I have consistently defended the rights of nonbelievers throughout my career. I’ve just never thought about why America has more of an issue [with nontheists in politics] than other countries, assuming that we do.
CS: What advice would you give to nontheists who are seeking to be more politically involved? For example, there’s a young man named James Woods, who is an open atheist running for Congress in Arizona. What would you say to him?
BF: Don’t appear to be aggressive—that’s the problem about atheism, and why I think nontheism is a better word. Honor other peoples’ convictions, as we seek to have ours honored. Don’t ridicule, don’t attack. Religion does a great deal of good, but when we have conflicts, religious leaders often make it worse rather than better. But I’ve always acknowledged the good work that is done by religions.
So the answer is: Don’t give the appearance that your campaign is a crusade for nontheism. Address it honestly when it comes up, and avoid any negativism about religion in general. That doesn’t mean you can’t criticize particular abuses that are carried on in the name of religion, but I would say this: You deal with it when it comes up, you’re matter of fact about it, and you go on about other issues.
CS: What do you make of the parallels or equations that some nontheists make between being gay and being atheist, such as “coming out,” “being in the closet,” or saying that the atheist movement should look to and learn from the LGBTQ movement?
BF: There are similarities and there are differences with all groups. There are areas in which the movement for LGBT legal equality resembles the women’s movement and the movement to end racial prejudice, and also areas where they are different. I think [such comparisons] can be a way of using common terms to help you make your point. A lot of these issues are very different, but it does help make the central point that we’re being treated unfairly because of something that shouldn’t be anybody else’s concern. That commonality is relevant.
CS: Do you feel your experiences as a gay person and as a nontheist have any parallels, or do they feel different?
BF: I’ve never felt any discrimination because I was not a believer in any religious doctrine. The constraining factor was, as I said, my fear that [my nontheism] would be interpreted by some as a repudiation of Jewishness. But no, I can’t say I’ve experienced [discrimination for being a nontheist]. The prejudice and criticism for my sexual orientation was much more pronounced. I’m not aware of any on the religious side.

7 comments:

  1. "Don’t appear to be aggressive—that’s the problem about atheism, and why I think nontheism is a better word. Honor other peoples’ convictions, as we seek to have ours honored. Don’t ridicule, don’t attack. Religion does a great deal of good, but when we have conflicts, religious leaders often make it worse rather than better. But I’ve always acknowledged the good work that is done by religions."

    Good advice, Ted, you should bear it mind next time you publish one of your insulting bits of agit-prop like the example at the top of your blog this morning (Sunday 15.6).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be happy to leave the religious alone -- as soon as they leave me alone and stop trying to force their religion on me and my family through legislation and government intimidation. I personally don't care what another person thinks. I just want the same respect I'm supposed to give them. It's a two-way street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? When was the last time you were forced into a church, or when was the last time a church-goer insulted you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You obviously don't live in the United States, or you wouldn't even ask such silly questions. You don't have to be "forced into a church" in this country to be forced to participate in religion. It is rampant in nearly all public events, including government ones. And the fundamentalists are continually trying to legislate even more religion to be forced on Americans.

    As for church-goers insulting atheists and agnostics, that is a common occurrence in the U.S. -- where most fundamentalists don't think us atheists are good Americans (and aren't afraid to say so).

    Be glad you live in a country that is more tolerant of non-believers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, a small fringe of 'ultras' say rude things about you whilst the vast majority of practicing Christians quietly go about their religious business; and your various levels of government continue a tradition which is as old as your country by acknowledging your Christian roots - and you throw a hissy fit and claim you are being bullied!

    Almost daily you issue forth a stream of insults aimed at Christians which your 'hero', Mr. Franks, deplores and I would like to know exactly and precisely when your local church in the town where you live insulted or threatened YOU?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always amazed at the hypocrisy of you christians. You think it's right that you get to spread your religious views anytime you want (including legislating its respect and adherence), but it's horrible when someone offers an opposing viewpoint. Is your god so weak? I don't discuss religion on my blog "almost daily", but usually reserve it for Sundays -- but it is my blog and I will give my opinion anytime I feel like it. Deal with it.
    And yes, Barney Frank IS a hero of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His religion and gawd is SSSOOOOoooo weak as to be virtually nonexistent. So they must legislate their awful BS.
    And the religious do good??? Like what??? Oh! I know they encourage killing gays in africa, and spreading aids because they LIE about condoms!!!! Ya they do lots of good in the world. They also steal my tax money thru legislation.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.