Wednesday, December 03, 2014

"Black Friday" Sales Off Significantly


Some stores started their Black Friday sales earlier than ever this year -- and the retail industry expected sales to top last year by as much as 5%. But that didn't happen. In fact, just the opposite happened, as sales dropped from $57.4 billion in 2013 to only $50.9 billion this year. That's a significant drop of $6.5 billion, or about 11.3%.

Why did this happen? Are all the social media campaigns against Black Friday having an effect? Are internet sales cutting into in-store sales this year? Or is this indicative of a public with less money to spend this holiday season? We won't know if that last reason is true or not for another couple of weeks, but I suspect both of the first two had at least some effect.

What do you think? Are the biggest days of Black Friday over -- or is this just a bad year?

1 comment:

  1. If your store really depends on black friday weekend to make the years profits then you need to reevaluate your business.
    I never EVER shop on black friday weekend!!! There are no discounts on the stuff I want that are enough to get me into those crowds. And the local store don't sell what I want, I almost am forced to buy on line.
    And being BROKE does not help with buying crap for xmas. Want more sales?? Get jobs back into the country so I can afford to do so!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.