Saturday, May 21, 2016

Democrats Liberal On Social Issues -- Not Economic Issues



The charts above were made from a new Gallup Poll -- done between May 4th and 8th of a random national sample of 1,025 adults, with a 4 point margin of error. It shows the political divisions regarding social and economic issues.

The divisions for all adults, Independents, and Republicans were about what I thought they were. It was the Democratic numbers that surprised me a bit. While I was gratified to see a majority of Democrats (57%) consider themselves to be liberal on social issues, it was disappointing to see only 41% considered themselves to be liberal on economic issues. On economic issues, a majority of Democrats (58%) consider themselves to be moderates or conservatives.

Could this be why Bernie Sanders didn't do better in his presidential race? He based his entire campaign on economic issues -- very liberal economic issues. But that is just not where the Democratic Party is right now. He turned out to be too liberal for most party members.

I am a progressive myself, and I would love to believe the majority of Democrats (and Americans) agreed with my progressive views -- but it just isn't true. I think it could be true some day, if we work hard. But right now, both the party and the country is not ready to accept far-left economic solutions.

By the same token, the country doesn't want far-right economic solutions either (which is why Ted Cruz probably didn't win).

This is still a moderate country. I believe it wants change, but it wants that change (especially economically) to come slowly -- in small steps. Americans are afraid of radical change -- from either the left or the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.