Sunday, April 29, 2018

The Public's View Of Our Last 14 First Ladies



I don't really have much of a problem with any of the First Ladies in the charts above. But I found this public evaluation of them by the public to be interesting, and I thought you might also.

In the wake of Barbara Bush's death, the Economist / YouGov Poll queried Americans on what they thought of each of the First Ladies we have had since the Great Depression. The survey was done of 1,500 adults between April 22nd and 24th, and has a margin of error of 3 points.

I would like to have seen Michelle Obama and Eleanor Roosevelt rated a bit higher, but that is because they are my two favorite First Ladies. I was happy to see that both scored well on both favorability and job approval with a significant majority of the public.

The only thing I really hated to see was how the public rated Hillary Clinton. Only 39% said they had a favorable view of her, and only 44% said they approved of the job she did as First Lady. That's the lowest rating in both favorability and job approval of any of these 14 First Ladies.

That saddens me, because Clinton was a decent person who dedicated her life to serving the people of this country -- both before, during, and after her term as First Lady.  There seems to be a lot of Hillary-haters  in the population right now (probably due to the divisive 2016 presidential primary and election, where many lies were told about her and fake stories about her spread through social media). I believe history will treat her much more kindly than this survey does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.