Monday, September 18, 2006

El Paso Judge Walking Across Texas

El Paso District Judge Bill Moody is running for a spot on the Texas Supreme Court in the November election. He may not be the candidate with the most money, but he has to be the candidate with the most creative campaign. Moody started in El Paso on August 7th and is walking his way across Texas to Orange at the Louisiana border. His walk will cover 1,017 miles, and he is now halfway done.

Why is he doing this? Here's what Judge Moody says, "One of the reasons why I'm walking is that I think the politicians and the people are losing connection. You fly into the cities and get off the airplane looking for the TV cameras and the $5000 check and that's about it. Everybody gets left out. There's a lot more to it than this."

Moody, a Democrat, carries a cell phone with him as he walks so he can keep in touch with supporters, plan meetings in the next town, and do interviews. He says he has lost 37 pounds so far on his walk. He said he likes to tell people, "When I started this thing, I was 6'5" and weighed 335 pounds. I'm a little fearful of what I might look like when I get to Louisiana." He is really 5'4" and weighs 157 pounds.

I will have to admit, I don't know much about Judge Moody or his Republican opponent, but if Moody finishes his walk [and I don't know why he wouldn't], then he deserves at least our consideration. Could you vote against a guy who walked over a thousand miles in the Texas heat for your vote?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.