Friday, June 29, 2007

Racism is Alive and Well

The vein in my head has to be throbbing right now. Cruising around some news sites, I found this little gem. It is about a woman in Georgia who is offended that people who have darker skin than her have the audacity to shop at her local Wal-mart. If that isn't bad enough, they also take the offense to a new level by outnumbering light-skinned shoppers. The nerve!
"That was the first time I looked around and said, 'Man, I didn't realize how many Mexicans there were here,' "

Cause it's common knowledge that all hispanics are from Mexico! *sigh* Head, meet desk.

"And they don't seem to feel any discomfort when they're, like, six inches from your face and talking to each other in their language, either."

How dare they speak their native language in her town?! And in front of her to boot! THE HORROR!!!

"I just felt very encroached upon. . . . It was like an instant feeling of 'I'm in the minority, and if we don't get control over this, pretty soon all of America will be outnumbered.' "

Oh poor baby. It must be ever so traumatizing not to be in the majority. I just cannot imagine anything worse than being outnumbered by people who are minding their own business.

Jeebus. Narrow-minded people like her make me want to break something. How can one be so willfully stupid?

2 comments:

  1. Juror #10: "Look, you know how these people lie! It's born in them! I mean what the heck? I don't have to tell you. They don't know what the truth is! And lemme tell you, they don't need any real big reason to kill someone, either! No sir!
    "They get drunk... oh, they're real big drinkers, all of 'em - you know that - and bang: someone's lyin' in the gutter. Oh, nobody's blaming them for it. That's the way they are! By nature! You know what I mean? VIOLENT!
    "Look, they're lushing it up and fighting all the time and if somebody gets killed, so somebody gets killed! They don't care! Oh, sure, there are some good things about 'em, too. Look, I'm the first one to say that.
    "I've known a couple who were OK, but that's the exception, y'know what I mean?
    "Most of 'em, it's like they have no feelings! They can do anything! What's goin' on here? I'm trying to tell you... you're makin' a big mistake, you people! This kid is a liar! I know it. I know all about them! Listen to me! They're no good! There's not a one of 'em who is any good! I mean, what's happening in here? I'm speaking my piece, and you...
    "Listen to me. We're... This kid on trial here... his type, well, don't you know about them? There's a, there's a danger here. These people are dangerous. They're wild. Listen to me. Listen."

    Juror #4: I have. Now sit down and don't open your mouth again.

    (12 Angry Men, released 50 years ago this summer. And we still see that crap all over the place. sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt! Good to see ya again!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.