Monday, September 15, 2008

Letter From Sherrie Matula


Dear Friends,

My thoughts are with all of you as you recover from Hurricane Ike. I'm including some information that I hope will be helpful to you. Please don't hesitate to call me at 281-486-0224 or my campaign manager, Martha Griffin at 281-773-5863 if you need help or further information.

If you need assistance from FEMA, call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Be very specific with them, especially if your house is not habitable. At the current time, we do not know the location of a nearby FEMA center for food, water, ice and cleaning supplies. As soon as we have that information, I will get that out to you. Click here for FEMA assistance online.

Other helpful phone numbers and websites:

Harris County: website, (713) 755-5000
City of Houston: website, call 311 helpline
Nassau Bay: website, 281-333-4211
Taylor Lake Village: website, 281-326-2843
El Lago: 281-326-1951
Seabrook: website, 281-291-5600
La Porte: 281-471-5020
Friendswood: 281-996-3200
Pearland: website, 281-652-1600

If you evacuated, it is important that you check with your municipality to find out when they advise you return. Note that mandatory curfews are in place for most of the evacuated zones, from 9 PM to 6 AM. Some gas stations are open in the District, but the lines are very long. Electricity is still out in most places and cell phone service is very spotty. Please have your neighbors check on your house and consider not returning home until at least Tuesday. When you return to our area, check on road closures. Today, part of I-10 and I-45 are closed.

The most important piece of advice I have received from authorities today is that we stay off the roads for now. Some of the roads in the area are still not clear, with flooding conditions in the Lake communities and downed trees in many areas.

Again, do not hesitate to call me if you need more information or assistance, as I am in the District right now and am here to help. Our headquarters did not sustain damage and we hope to have that open very soon.

I'll send you more information, as I receive it.

Take care and God bless you and your loved ones,

Sherrie

If you are able, please consider donating to the Red Cross today. They are already in Galveston and other areas helping folks affected by Hurricane Ike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.