Thursday, February 20, 2014

3 Texas Democratic Primary Candidates To Consider

Voting started on Tuesday for the party primaries in Texas, so I'm a little bit late with this post. But I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in anyway, and make some recommendations. Many of the statewide races only have one candidate, or the choice is an obvious one (like Wendy Davis for governor). I'm not going to say anything about those races.

But there are three statewide races that have more than one candidate -- U.S. Senator, Railroad Commissioner, and Agriculture Commissioner. I have definite opinions on the candidates I feel would make the best Democratic nominees for those offices. You may feel it is a bit presumptive for me to pick the best nominees, so I urge you to feel free to make your own choices known in the comments section (but remember that anonymous comments are not published). Here are my choices (with pictures from their Facebook pages):

U.S. SENATE -- Maxey Scherr
I know Wendy has endorsed someone else, but I really believe the best candidate in this race is Maxey. She is an unashamed progressive who supports equal rights for all citizens (including equal pay for women), and would vote to raise the minimum wage. She would also protect Social Security and Medicare, and work to make our education system the best in the world (as it used to be).

RAILROAD COMMISSIONER -- Steve Brown

In Texas, the Railroad Commission has nothing to do with trains or transportation. It is the state agency that regulates the oil and gas industry. We need a candidate that can stand up to these powerful corporate interests, and do what is best for all the citizens of Texas. I think Steve Brown is that person. He is smart, honest, and competent -- and it doesn't hurt that he adds some ethnic diversity to the party's ticket.

AGRICULTURE COMMISSIONER -- Kinky Friedman

Kinky is not a progressive, but he is not a conservative either. He is the very definition of a maverick who thinks for himself and would do what he thinks is best for the people of Texas. I believe he could also bring the ticket some new voters, especially Independents who might not vote otherwise. That's because he has a solid fan base that cuts across party lines -- people like me who have been fans for decades. Kinky likes to joke and is quick to toss out one-liners, but he loves this state and is a smart guy who would do a good job if elected.

I am one who believes each person should vote their conscience, so I would never tell you who to vote for in this primary. But I would appreciate it if you would consider these three candidates before stepping into the voters booth.

3 comments:

  1. But can you really trust Wendy these days? I mean, even the NYT thinks she is, er, "nuanced" - know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't know what you mean -- but I trust Wendy a thousand times more than Greg Abbott.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allow me:

    "Wendy Davis, the Texas state senator who became a national figure by filibustering abortion restrictions last year, told a Dallas newspaper that she would have supported one of those restrictions — a ban on abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy — had the bill been written differently and deferred to a woman and her doctor in making the decision."

    In other words, last year she said, several times over given that it was a filibuster, that she was opposed to *any* restriction on abortion but this year as she is facing election in Texas she decided to, er "nuance" her stand - if "stand" is quite the word! - and agree that post-20 week abortions should not be permitted.

    First she says 'yes', then she says 'no' - what a tease!

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.