Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Governor Hutchison ?


Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison's term ends in 2012, but we've been hearing for months that she's considering a run for governor of Texas in 2010. She had considered a run in 2006 against Perry, but decided it would be divisive for the Republican Party.

But during a visit to the Panhandle recently, she said that nobody could convince her it would still be divisive in 2010. There are some who believe Rick Perry wants to run again in 2010, but after getting only 37% of the vote in the last election it's hard to believe he would be competitive against Senator Hutchison.

Now it looks like Hutchison is inching ever closer to running for governor. She has said that if she decides to run, she wouldn't announce it before the November elections. But it looks like an aide to the senator may have let the cat out of the bag.

Matt Mackowiak, spokesman for the senator, told the Corpus Christi Caller-Times that Senator Hutchison is running for governor in 2010. He may have let something slip that he wasn't supposed to though, because when the Associated Press called him about the statement, he would not comment.

But this is no real surprise. As Republican consultant Bill Miller said, "It basically qualifies as the worst kept secret in Texas. She's going to be a candidate....It's clear to me and to others she's running."

I agree with Miller. I believe she is running, and I think she'll win the Republican primary. The Democrats had better come up with a pretty good candidate -- someone more formidable than they've had in the last few elections.

I can't understand why, but Hutchison is fairly popular in Texas. In spite of her undistinguished record in the Senate, people seem to like her (a lot more than they like her cohort, John Cornyn).

Governor Hutchison. That sends a chill down my spine.

4 comments:

  1. You really, REALLY know how to depress a guy.

    I've got a stack of Kay-Kay's form letter responses, each and every one that basically says: 'Thanks for your concern, but I will continue to do the opposite of what you, my constituent is asking of me.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just curious: Do you think Hutchison would make a better or a worse governor than Perry, and why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, I don't see any difference. The corporations will still be running the state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to have seen this Mackowiak guy get chewed out and bitch slapped for probably being drunk or something and slipping to a reporter.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.