Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Television Addiction - Project Runway


All right. I admit it. I have a television "guilty pleasure". A few seasons ago, I watched an episode of this show simply because it was one of those nights where absolutely nothing interesting was on the tube. I figured I would watch this show, laugh at how ridiculous it was and then never see it again. I was wrong! At the end of the hour I was hooked, and my new addiction has made me watch the show for several seasons and love every minute of it.

The show is called Project Runway and it's on the tiny cable channel called Bravo. Last night, it started it's fifth season. The show takes 16 people who have some talent and promise as clothing designers, but who have yet to make their mark in the fashion industry.

They give these people a ridiculously hard challenge each week and allow them not nearly enough time to complete the challege. Then their creation are put on the fashion runway and critiqued by a panel of judges looking for perfection. Each week, the worst fashion's designer is kicked off the show. The last three remaining contestants get to design and make a line of women's clothing, and get to show that line during fashion week in New York City.

While 16 new designers are chosen each season to compete, the show does have four regulars (pictured above). They are Michael Kors (judge), Heidi Klum (host and judge), Tim Gunn (mentor for the designers) and Nina Garcia (judge). The show would not be nearly as good without these four. Michael and Nina are perfect as judges and Heidi is a great host who can deliver the bad news to a contestant in a way that is both sweet and brutal at the same time. Tim is just one of the most likeable people on the planet.

Last night they kicked off the new season by sending the designers to a grocery store. They had 30 minutes to pick their materials and one day to create a fashion out of those materials. The materials had to be something sold at the grocery store. For instance, one of the better fashions was a dress made out of plastic cups.

I'm not sure why I love this show so much, but I do. Part of it is the interesting people they pick to be on the show, and the way many of them wear their emotions on their sleeve. Also, I have always admired people who can do great work under intense pressure (in any field).

If you've got the time to squeeze another show into your schedule, I recommend you give Project Runway a try. But if you don't have the time, then let me warn you. Don't watch it, or you just may find you have a new addiction.

4 comments:

  1. don't feel bad, I have a thing for Reno 911. That show cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a Project Runway fan, but I am a Heidi Klum fan (what can I say - I'm a guy :) ).

    In other words, I don't go out of my way to watch the show, but if I cruise by it (usually when on my way to the History Channel), I'll stop and watch for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to mock you when I first saw the title and then, by the end of reading that description, I was just jealous because I don't have cable. I appreciated the low down. I'd heard some good things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. freida-
    It would have been OK if you had mocked me. That's why I called it my "guilty pleasure".

    abdul-
    I get a kick out of Reno 911 too.

    cpmaz-
    How can you just watch for a few minutes?

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.