Saturday, July 04, 2009

Sarah Palin Quits

I must admit that I was rather shocked to hear this news. In fact, I had to check out a couple of different news sources just to make sure someone wasn't trying to pull off a sick joke. But it's real -- Sarah Palin is resigning her governorship effective July 26th. Lt. Governor Sean Parnell will be sworn in as governor on that day.

In trying to explain why she is quitting, Palin gave a rambling and rather unintelligible statement saying, "Once I decided not to run for re-election, I also felt that to embrace the conventional 'Lame Duck' status in this particular climate would just be another dose of 'politics as usual,' something I campaigned against and will always oppose. It is my duty to always protect our great state. With that in mind, my family and I determined that it is best to make a difference this summer, and I am willing to change things, so that this administration, with its positive agenda, its accomplishments and its successful road to an incredible future, can continue without interruption and with great administrative and legislative success."

I not real sure what that means, but she seems to be saying Alaska will be better off without her. I really can't argue with that. I don't know anything about Parnell, but he can't be any worse than Palin.

Palin didn't say specifically what her future plans were. She did say, "I look forward to helping others -- to fight for our state and our country, and campaign for those who believe in smaller government, free enterprise, strong national security, support for our troops and energy independence."

Is she giving up on politics, or preparing herself to run for president? I'm not sure which I would prefer. There's something to be said for not having Palin around anymore, but I suspect she's just clearing the way for a run at the Republican presidential nomination. I think all Democrats would love to see that.

Palin is clueless when it comes to national and international issues, and seems to think that the ability to mouth right-wing platitudes is all she needs to do. In reality, the longer she continues to be a national leader of the Republican Party, the more it makes it look like the party is devoid of any real leadership or fresh ideas.

I would love to see Palin on the Republican ticket again in 2012.

UPDATE- The Brad Blog is now reporting that Palin resigned because of impending federal indictments for embezzlement regarding the Wasilla Sports Complex.

5 comments:

  1. Here's my take on Palin's announcement.

    Palin is a maverick - always has been, always will be. This isn't the first time she's stepped down from a governmental position. In January 2004, she resigned as head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, citing a lack of ethics among fellow Republican commissioners.

    I think the key to her speech is this quote:

    "I will support others who seek to serve, in or out of office, for the right reasons, and I don't care what party they're in or no party at all. Inside Alaska - or Outside Alaska."

    "But I won't do it from the Governor's desk."

    "I've never believed that I, nor anyone else, needs a title to do this - to make a difference... to help people." [Emphasis added]

    (cont'd)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also sense that Palin is sick and tired of all the sniping: from the press, from the 15 ethics charges that have been leveled against her (all of which have been either thrown out or dismissed), from her own party (especially disgruntled former McCain campaign people who want to blame her entirely for the 2008 loss). But the final straw was the cheap shots that were taken against her family.

    Palin has been trying to build her resume, but all of the above (especially the circular firing squad that is the Republican Party) is too much to overcome in seeking higher office. Sources close to NBC's Andrea Mitchell say that Palin is through with elected politics, and I think that's probably true.

    (cont'd)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how does Palin see her role for the future? I think she'll be playing to her assets, which are her "rock star" quality and ability to energize the base. But I don't think she'll be using it seek elected office. I forsee her using her political action committe (SarahPAC) in much the same way as Mike Huckabee is currently using his (HuckPAC): to support candidates that share his political philosophy (e.g. supporting conservative Mario Rubio over moderate Charlie Crist in the Republican primary for Senator from Florida). Except in Palin's case, I could see her supporting independent, or possibly Libertarian or even conservative Democrat candidates who share her political views. And she's got enough of a following that she could make a difference.

    By resigning before the end of her term, she certainly isn't helping to improve her biggest liability (lack of experience), but that seems to strengthen my argument that she's putting elected politics behind her. I could see her possibly runnning for Lisa Murkowski's Senate seat in the future, but I think that any presidential aspirations (at least for 2012) are over.

    (cont'd)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's one final possibility, and it's a long shot. I'm currently reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged (I'm on page 540 of this 1157-page epic), which is where I got the following idea.

    Palin may be so disheartened by the current state of affairs in this country that she may just join her husband Todd, return to commercial fishing in Bristol Bay, and leave this whole mess behind. Personally, I wouldn't blame her if she did.

    Who is John Galt, anyway? No, don't tell me - you'll give away the end of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sarah- how can we miss you if you won't go away?
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED. And neither will racist,homophobic, or misogynistic comments. I do not mind if you disagree, but make your case in a decent manner.